Tuesday, April 8, 2014

TICK TOK....

And the countdown continues. 

Two days to go and I am 'shitting bricks'. I guess this is the first time I am taking on a challenge of distance and time without having ever completed a practice day of the distance or time we are setting ourselves. 

When climbing Kilimanjaro the first time, I worked out like a mad man. Amanda, my partner in 'many crimes' and I trained by carrying packs and walking up and down 14 flights of stairs for hours on end. Before TRAIL, we ( Amanda and I again) walked in all kinds of conditions for hours on end. walking, on days, distances well over what we had planned. 

We set out on the ride and Charlene and I have done a maximum of 80km per ride. A smidgen over half of the distance we would be covering on a daily basis..... on ten consecutive days . (oh sorry.. we do get a days break on the beach in Trincomalee)
My trepidation is justified. I am a meticulous 'preparer' for physical challenges. Training, kit, nutrition, planning of day; this time, I have to admit, kit, nutrition and day plan is under control but as for the physical element, we find out what a 150km ride is less than 48 hours from now.

My one consolation is that we are in good hands. Yasas and Ajith are seasoned riders and not the 'cowboy' types who would throw too much risk into the ride. We are planning 1.5 hourly stops for fuelling up and hoping to keep a modes pace of less that 25kmph. We also have the option of just taking it easy, or if the going gets too tough or bodies start to break down, stopping the days ride at any point and hopping into a support vehicle to the end point. The end points are comfortable hotels with air-conditioned rooms. Most on the beach to make them additionally attractive beacons to ride towards. 

I however know, that in my make up, stopping aint an option. This both calms me and worries me. On Kili II ( second climb) I pushed myself, minus proper hydration to a point of collapsing in a heap of cramps at the top. I knew I was doing this but went ahead never the less. Lets put that down to a loss of sensibility due to altitude. If I push myself to those lengths on this, could I blame the sun??? Well; the sun is my biggest fear at this point. Sri Lanka is fucking hot. Gorgeous and tropical as it may be, its still fucking 'brick oven', 'sweat out of your eyeballs' hot. 

I am older and wiser ( we hope). This time I will respect my limits. I have no desire to quit but I have less desire to end up a lifeless heap on some rural highway. This time I will listen to my body and take it easy. Famous last words?? lets see. I have a lot to live for. I have to score 50. The lord knows those were few and far between in my cricket career. 

Today i weighed myself. 96.8kg's. I am the heavier than iI have been. Ever. Great point to start.

On the bright side. I feel good. I am nervous and excited; a good combination. I have had the privilege of playing sport at a pretty high level and this feels no different to the approach of 'game day. Lets get this show on the road. Lets DO THIS. 


1 comment:

  1. like u said " stopping aint an option" , we know you long enough to understand that. goodluck to you and Charlene. Keep us posted. Even though we can't be there with you, we are there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete