Wednesday, April 20, 2016

No laughing, sneezing or coughing.... but otherwise good to go.

Its pouring with rain.

I sit at my desk, in my air-conditioned office and I stare out of my window in disbelief. We rode bicycles around the country for 10 days, in blistering heat; not one cloud in sight, not one patch of respite from the searing, brutal, skin scorching, mind numbing heat and now, as I sit in my temp controlled, comfortable room, it rains??? I think its a good thing I don't believe in a god, as he/she/it would have had a belly full from me right about now.

ATP 2016 is now history. We did a 'ceremonial' ride in from Negambo, joined by some friends and kids of riders, ending our ride at Park Street Mews, where a CP camp was being held. Many friends and family members were there to greet us and it was particularly emotional to see the recipient children ( of wheel chairs we raised funds for) there to greet us.

The last two days of proper riding were two tough legs; Sorely testing most of the riders as the distance and the heat combined made these the longest and hottest of the entire journey.

Day 8: After suffering my mishap on day 6, and attempting, but not making it more than 6km's on day 7, I got back on my bike for the 160km's from Jaffna to Marichchakatti. I had tanked up on painkillers and was reasonably comfortable as it was a flat ride on good road for most part of it and I didn't think my rib and shoulder would get too much of a jarring. Yasas had taken a painful fall on Challai and he too was nursing a badly bruised and painful rib. Yasas and I 'cracked' a few jokes between us and decided to push on.

In addition to my rib and shoulder, it appeared that my poor bike had suffered some injury as well. Sadly, it did not survive the crash. I didn't realise the time but the impact had snapped one of the carbon tubes and basically, that was that. Fortunately for me, there was a van being driven up to Jaffna that night and I managed to get my old bike sent up.

Setting off early morning, I was probably the most comfortable of the riders as for one, i was tanked up on some pretty serious meds ( the world was a happy place) and two, I had spent an entire day, lounging in the luxurious rooms of Jetwing Jaffna, and was well rested.

Charlene had picked up a nasty gash on her leg and needed medical attention. Under normal circumstances this would have required a few sutures, but nothing about Challai is normal, so she had wrapped her leg up in Jehan S's sun protection sleeve, and it was only on completion of the day, that any attention was given to it. I have to say, she is one tough cookie, with an incredible resolve.

Chantal had a pulled glute muscle, Chenthu had planted his head in the sand and was being checked for concussions and Aneesha had damaged the ligaments in his wrist in another fall, which meant the 'sick list' was pretty long. Chenthu and Aneesha decided not to ride but the other walking wounded gamely hopped on and with the aid of some 'happy pills'  to numb the pain, we rolled off in to the rising sun.

A few Kms out of Jaffna and we cross a steel bridge. The morning dew had made it as slick as glass and before we knew it, we had a multi bike pile up. Charlene took another tumble but thankfully, avoided any serious damage, a part from a sore bum and elbow.

The rest of the ride was thankfully eventless, but testing. Mid way to Mannar, we broke out in song, led by Jehan B, and at near hysterical volume, belted out some rather dubious lyrics to a few Queen, Sinatra, and Simon and Garfunkel hits. While Freddy and Frank probably had a good spin in their graves, Paul and Art must have felt a chill in their souls and I think we cleared the threat of Elephants on the road for many miles in each direction.

Entering Mannar, the heat was making going really tough. It was well in the 40's and a few people crumbled and had to take the option of vehicle support, but the others, wounded included, grit their teeth and motored on. This was really 'dig deep' stuff. This is the time that you have to take complete control of your mind. I play scenes of life out, try and remember places I have been to and make and remake my bucket list. I can assure you, there is no place on my new list, that has an average temperature any higher than 25c ever. During this section, incredible support provided by 'Wonder-woman' Ajani and her merry crew was almost a life saver at times. Watermellon and ice magically appeared when most needed and cold bottles of water were passed around to 'bath' in and cool ourselves while on the road. The amazing support of Andrew and the Land Rover team deserves special mention as well.

The ride finally ended at the Marichchakatti Naval Camp. the location of this camp is amazing. Its poised at the bottom end of a bay, just north of the famed Kudiramalai Beach and has a lovely view in all directions. We were to spend the night with Eco Team again, who have an excellent camping set up for large crews, and under the leadership of Channa who was always attentive. Ajith and Shiromal were our neighbours, and along with Shehan C, we had a peaceful evening, sipping a well earned scotch, enjoying a chat and a laugh and watching the sky put on a magical show, first with a stunning sunset and then with a display of a myriad of stars.


The next day was another tester. especially for those of us who were nursing painful injuries.

The day starts with a beautiful 34km ride through Wilpattu National Park. Since its reasonably cool in the morning, we ride through spectacularly beautiful Villus and open plains of the park keeping a keen eye open for any elephants, buffalo or other wildlife that may not take kindly to our presence. As gorgeous as it is, nursing injuries on 'off road' rides is never easy and was especially daunting.

For some, this ride is a beautiful experience, to be savoured; truly is a journey of a life time.
For others, its simply a point A to Point B ride on mountain bikes. This reflects many of the personalities as well. Observing the riders I couldn't help but feel sorry for those who just do not see the beauty around them.

The entirety of ATP is such a journey, sadly not for many. Ajith, Yasas and I were doing this for our third time, but we still marvelled at the beauty around us and took time to stop our bikes, view particularly beautiful sights, and shook our heads as some didn't so much as turn their heads at some of the prettiest scenery the island has to offer. I guess we all have our reasons why we ride. I hope in the many years I plan on doing this ride, I never get to a point where I don't appreciate the beauty of it.

Once out of the park we took a brief rest and hopped in to the cooling river at the entrance / exit, and switched bikes for a 135km's of road riding in to Negambo. From the park entrance to Putlam town the road is still reasonably empty and a good pace can be kept, however from Putlam onwards, its a slow grind through traffic and the harsh realisation that the best of the ride is behind us and now its a return to 'civilisation' if you could call it that.

We made a few 'Kade`' stops and wolfed down Vadai and hot Egg Roti, drank sweet tea, laughed and joked with Charlene and JB having a few 'moments'  aptly captured on video, wincing in pain with our bruises, cracked ribs, gashed legs and arms and torn muscles and rolled into Negambo. A tired, sun burned peloton of 35 riders who had for all intents and purposes, completed ATP2016.

A memorable night of celebration followed, with much alcohol consumed. A few casualties, many stories, lots of laughs and a good nights sleep for most.

The final day we had a short 40km roll into Colombo.

So now I watch the rain hammering down; My rib is cracked, and my shoulder had dislocated but thankfully found its way back into its socket, leaving me with a bunch of sore ligaments but nothing more. I have a head full of memories of three ATP's and I can't laugh, sneeze or cough without acute pain. I have a little white envelop of pain killers next to my computer, but I am refraining from taking any. Today I start training again. I may need one of those pills before I hit the gym.









6 comments:

  1. And we ride again..chalai frm a far and nw this...nothing less than sensational. Really enjoyed reading all the integrated humor and it got me cracking like a madman on many occasions. Hats off to the brilliant pieces of writing. Thanks toyour writing I was able to re-live the ATP 2016 adventure all over again within an hour in a more fun way...so sorry to hear abut the bike..bones and bruises will heal in time...likewise I hope u get a shiny new machine...Keep up the good work Sari...loved every word...

    Udam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks udam :)
      Look forward to your company on many more rides .. and walks :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good post. Just wonderful. Truly, I am amazed at what informative things you've told us today. Thanks a million for that. Foto Mesum 2 Lelaki di Tempat Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this your broadcast provided bright clear concept.

    เว็บไซต์ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  5. Institute of Excellence was established by Dr. Vikas Dua to create awareness about Blood Disorder and how Bone Marrow transplant can save lives. Dr. Dau has been vocal about the use of Bone Marrow Transplant and his efforts in field of Half Match Transplant has been recognised Nationally & Internationally.

    ReplyDelete