Thursday, September 11, 2014

Hanoi Hilton

I am not trying to be funny. I am actually seated in my room at the Hanoi Hilton.. and NO!!!!. Its not a bamboo cage, and I don't have my finger nails removed or testicles electrocuted. 
For those of you who don't get what i am 'on about'; the 'Hanoi Hilton' was a notorious prison camp during the days of the Vietnam war where many US prisoners spent weeks, months and sometimes year in captivity, enduring untold hardship and torture. 
Today, the most torturous thing I have to endure here is, 'what malt shall i sample tonight?'. The Hotel is not the best of Hiltons global properties but its grand in outward appearance, has comfortable, substantially appointed rooms and a wonderfully stocked bar. 
Fifty has come and gone, and nothing fell off, everything still works, and I haven't suddenly taken on the appearance of a hobbit.I am back to the grind of work and family and travel and airports and hotels and fast / unhealthy food and too much drink. I am back to the reality that is my life, my struggle with staying healthy in the face of all the temptation to hurtle me down the freeway of fat. 
as much as i looked to some significant landmark.. looks like stays quo remains. 
We resort to 'bada thibbata weds thiyanawa' and plod on down the road. 
Vietnam is potentially a new base for us and an exciting new opportunity for growth. Both for the company and for me. 
I am excited. I love the challenge. Its time to build a world class plant now. 


3 comments: