Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Getting on the Bike... the best way to start.

What better way to start a blog about life and living, than getting a medical report that pretty much tells you that every damn thing you got tested for is either high or off the charts... 
Liver.. Stop Drinking.. Blood sugar.. Stop eating.. the list goes on.
I guess this is the price of living it up for most of my life. 

So.. today is a new day. I am seated in some dingy hotel room in a freezing Nottingham awaiting my first cup of coffee ( black, no sugar) , a shave a shower and my cab. 

My life has been about many false starts. Well. I should clarify that. My endeavour to be healthy and fit and slim and youthful, has been about 'many false starts'. 

As much as I would like to be positive about getting started, reality and history 'moons' me, redicules me and makes me want to run to the closes deli and make myself a thick bacon sandwich with cheese and marmalade..

But!!!!. This time have something out of the ordinary to be that beacon of hope. The impetus i need. The kick in the ass to get me up and ready and yes... drinking black coffee with no sugar as opposed to something sugary or alcoholic ( yup.. its been known to happen even at this ungodly hour) 
I have THE PEARL. 

The Pearl was the brainchild of my old friend Ajith Fernando. Ajith who is an avid cyclist, along with the 'big daddy' of cycling in Colombo,  Yasas Hewage have planned a 1450km, bike ride around Sri Lanka, in 10 days of riding. Being a glutton for punishment, I have decided to take my 96.8kg's and my total inexperience on endurance rides, [and on street bikes] and join them.

Thus I begin this blog, that will eventually explore culinary delights from around the globe, good wines, whiskeys and beautiful places to visit; that will hope to give an insight in to the life and travails of a man turning fifty, with my quest to complete this ride in one piece and to live to tell the tale of a completed journey at the end of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment